Saturday, October 2, 2010

Player Walkthrough: Tactical Advantage

By Adrian Palmer, Jon Daley, Bobby Lee, Mike Gossett

  The Green Army’s forces are on the move and my Army, which consists of 10 soldiers, two tanks, and two missile batteries, is running dangerously low on resources. Currently, we are located in the grasslands about four clicks south of the nearest city. To the East are nearly impassable mountains. To the West are barely navigable forests. However, about 8 clicks to the Northwest, there is a resource facility that, according to reports, is unoccupied. I decide to send a small squad of soldiers to capture it quickly and, in case there’s trouble, a Tank along behind for support.

  After dispatching my troops, I receive word that the Green Army has soldiers advancing on the same resource facility. Although my troops will reach it first, I decide to dispatch a missile battery so that once secured, I can take out the Green Army’s advance forces from a distance. If I can hold it, then I’ll use it as a jumping off point to launch attacks on other facilities.

  As planned, my troops reach the facility first. Unfortunately, the Green Army will be within attack range before my missile battery is close enough to defend. Meanwhile the Red Army has captured its second resource facility and is marching West towards my base. I order two tanks and my remaining Missile Battery to the East to set up a defense perimeter, so I can fend off the Red Army’s approach.

  I soon receive word that we have secured the Northwestern Resource Facility without incident. However, the joy of that operation’s success is short lived when a subsequent report indicates that the Green Army’s tanks are now within attack range of our newly captured facility. They attack and immediately capture one of our soldiers.

  
My support tank returns fire, disables, and captures one of their two tanks. Their remaining tank fires and takes out my troop holding the facility, blast! Our tanks exchange a few javascript:void(0)more rounds of fire before my tank lands a critical hit and capture theirs.

  Happy to have won that battle, I now have a tough decision to make: With the Red Army quickly advancing on our position from the East, can I afford to dispatch more forces to reoccupy the Resource Facility?

  Ultimately, I determine that keeping troops back to defend the Eastern boarder against the Red Army makes more tactical sense than immediately going after the Resource Facility again. My hopes are that my single tank can defend the facility until more troops can be sent to re-occupy it.

... I’ll just have to wait and see …

No comments:

Post a Comment